- 12 ounces thinly sliced deli Corned Beef or Pastrami
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 8 slices rye or pumpernickel bread
- 8 slices of reduced-fat Swiss cheese
- 1-1/2 cups drained sauerkraut
- 1/4 cup Thousand Island Dressing
1. Lightly spread butter on one side of each slice of bread.
2. Prepare Thousand Island Dressing. Thousand Island Dressing:
Combine 1/2 cup mayonnaise, 1/2 cup ketchup, 1/4 cup drained sweet pickle relish, 2 teaspoons distilled white vinegar and 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce in medium bowl. Cover and refrigerate at lease 1 hour.
3. Heat large nonstick skillet over medium heat until hot. Place 2 bread slices, butter side down, in skillet. Top each bread slice with 1 tablespoon dressing, 3 ounces corned beef, quarter of sauerkraut and 2 cheese slices. Top with 2 bread slices butter side up.
4. Cook sandwiches 4 to 6 minutes or until bread is golden brown and cheese is melted, turning once. Repeat with remaining bread, dressing, corned beef, sauerkraut and cheese. Serve with additional Thousand Island Dressing, as desired.
SAFE HANDLING TIPS:
- Wash hands with soap and water before cooking and always after touching raw meat.
- Separate raw meat from other foods.
- Wash all cutting boards, utensils, and dishes after touching raw meat.
- Do not reuse marinades used on raw foods.
- Wash all produce prior to use.
- Cook beef until temperature reaches 145°F for medium-rare steaks and roasts 160°F for ground beef.
- Refrigerate food promptly.