“Enjoy this salad at home on Taco Tuesday or any night of the week. Your favorite taco ingredients are deconstructed and served up on a salad. No taco shell needed. This Beef. It’s What’s For Dinner. recipe is certified by the American Heart Association®.“
- 1 pound Ground Beef (96% lean)
- 2/3 cup salsa
- 1/2 cup low-fat shredded Cheddar cheese
- 1 medium tomato, chopped (about one cup)
- 8 cups mixed salad greens
- 1/2 cup diced bell pepper
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced red onion
1. Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium heat until hot. Add Ground Beef; cook 8 to 10 minutes, breaking into 3/4-inch crumbles and stirring occasionally. Pour off drippings. Stir in salsa; cook 2 minutes. Remove skillet from heat; keep warm.
Cook’s Tip: Cooking times are for fresh or thoroughly thawed ground beef. Ground beef should be cooked to an internal temperature of 160°F. Color is not a reliable indicator of ground beef doneness.
2. Line 4 plates with salad greens. Divide beef mixture among 4 plates. Top beef with cheese, tomato, pepper, and onion. Garnish with olives and dressing, as desired.
Optional Toppings: sliced ripe olives, prepared ranch or French dressing
SAFE HANDLING TIPS:
- Wash hands with soap and water before cooking and always after touching raw meat.
- Separate raw meat from other foods.
- Wash all cutting boards, utensils, and dishes after touching raw meat.
- Do not reuse marinades used on raw foods.
- Wash all produce prior to use.
- Cook beef until temperature reaches 145°F for medium rare steaks and roasts 160°F for ground beef.
- Refrigerate food promptly.