- 1 pound Ground Beef (95% lean)
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 package (10-12 ounces) iceberg or romaine salad mix (lettuce, red cabbage, carrots)
- 1 cup diced tomato
- 1/2 cup canned black beans, rinsed, drained
- 1/2 cup frozen corn, defrosted, drained
- 1/2 cup shredded reduced-fat Cheddar cheese (optional)
- 1/2 cup prepared reduced-fat or fat-free ranch dressing
- 1/4 to 1/3 cup Crunchy Tortilla Strips (recipe follows) or crushed baked tortilla chips
1. Brown Ground Beef with garlic in large nonstick skillet over medium heat for 8-10 minutes, breaking beef up into 1/2-inch crumbles. Pour off drippings, if necessary. Stir in water, chili powder, and cumin; cook and stir for 1 minute to blend flavors. Cool slightly.
Cook’s Tip: Cooking times are for fresh or thoroughly thawed ground beef. Ground beef should be cooked to an internal temperature of 160°F. Color is not a reliable indicator of ground beef doneness.
2. Place salad mix, beef, tomato, beans, corn, and cheese, if desired, in a large bowl with lid. Top with dressing; close lid securely or cover bowl tightly with plastic wrap. Shake gently to combine. Top with tortilla strips, if desired.
Crunchy Tortilla Strips: Cut 2 corn tortillas in half, then crosswise into 1/4-inch-wide strips. Place strips in single layer on baking sheet. Spray tortilla strips lightly with nonstick cooking spray. Bake for 4-8 minutes at 400ºF or until crisp.
Cook’s Tip: You can substitute your favorite dressing for ranch dressing.
SAFE HANDLING TIPS:
- Wash hands with soap and water before cooking and always after touching raw meat.
- Separate raw meat from other foods.
- Wash all cutting boards, utensils, and dishes after touching raw meat.
- Do not reuse marinades used on raw foods.
- Wash all produce prior to use.
- Cook beef until temperature reaches 145°F for medium rare steaks and roasts 160°F for ground beef.
- Refrigerate food promptly.